What to do if Your Car is Stolen
If you are ever in the unfortunate situation of having your car, truck or SUV stolen, here are the important steps to take:
1. Contact the police immediately to file a stolen vehicle report. The police will provide you with either a hard copy of the report or a case number that you will need for your insurance company. You should be prepared to provide the following information:
- License plate number
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Year, make, model and color
- Identifying marks, such as scratches or dents
- Custom add-ons, such as spoilers or wheel covers
- A list of the items inside the vehicle
- A description of any suspects you may have seen
2. Contact your insurance company to file a claim within 24 hours of the time when you discovered your vehicle was stolen. Provide them with a hard copy of the police report or the case number.
3. Contact the police and your insurance company immediately when/if your vehicle is located.
If you have a LoJack® Stolen Vehicle Recovery System, reporting the theft to the Police activates the LoJack System, because LoJack is directly integrated with the National Crime Information Center computers for stolen vehicles.*
*LoJack® unit activation is contingent upon the vehicle being located within LoJack’s coverage area that spans counties across 29 states throughout the US and the District of Columbia. See lojack.com/coverage or call 1-800-4- LoJack.